Tuesday, April 10, 2007

An Asparagus Tart


Asparagus is in season right now. It was everywhere at the market this weekend. This is an easy recipe that can be made in less than an hour. I made it for Sunday brunch but paired with a salad it would make a great light dinner. Pastry dough is a great back drop for creating your own masterpieces.

Asparagus and Cheese Tart

1 frozen, puff pastry
2 Cups Shredded Gruyere Cheese
1 Pound of Thin to Medium Asparagus
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (a drizzle)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Follow the instructions on the package to thaw out pastry sheet.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Sprinkle flour down on work surface and roll out the pastry sheet to form a rectangle. (I made mine about 8" x 16". This size worked well with the size of asparagus I had).

Place the formed dough on a cookie sheet. With a knife score the edge of the rectangle about one inch from each side. This will form your outer crust. With a fork, poke inside the scored crust to allow the outer crust to puff in the oven but keeping the center a flat surface. Pre-cook the dough for 15 minutes. Pull out of oven to assembe the tart ingredients.

Wash and prepare the asparagus trimming the ends at least by an inch. Trim it to the proper length to fit within your designed rectangular shape. Place cheese at center of crust and along the rectangular length. Add salt and fresh ground peppercorns. Place each asparagus piece on top of cheese. You will need to alternate between the top and the bottoms of the piece of asparagus to allow the asparagus to better sit on top of the tart. After the tart is assembled, drizzle olive oil on top of the asparagus. Bake for 25 minutes.

The tart can be served immediately or is great served room temperature.

Serves 4.

-Fer

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a simple and beautiful tart! I just love your photos :-)

4:04 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Elegant, easy and in-season. Just checked this tart out on Tastespotting. Super shots!

10:00 AM  
Blogger AndrĂ© Sala said...

Delivered here via Tastespotting. This is a fantastic idea, and the shots are lovely. I'm definitely going to give this a shot.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Rasa Malaysia said...

This is so artistic and beautiful. I love it. :)

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i found this recipe on marthastewart.com last week and made it over the weekend. it was delicious and served 6 easily. i hate all the ingredients found in most commercial frozen pastries, so i used the quick puff pastry recipe off allrecipes.com that cheats by using sour cream to puff the dough. it was a hit at easter brunch! your photos are much nicer than the ones on martha's site.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Nicole! Thanks so mcuh for your comment. It is so much fun to try to capture food in a photo!

Susan-All of the beautiful asparagus at the market makes you want to cook it! Thanks for reading!

Andre sala-A friend of mine made it and I loved it so much I had to make it too! Pass it on. So-easy and so good.

Rasa-Thank you!

Erin- Hi! That's funny about Martha! I will have to see if my friend that I took the recipe from took it from Martha! She (or her team) does such a good job!

I have a great puff pastry recipe. I should post it...but the thing I loved about this is that it is so quick! I am all about making my own dough but sometimes you need a quick, pretty and delicious meal!

Thanks for your comment!

-Fer

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to try this tonight! It look so easy. Have you tried with other cheeses?

9:28 AM  
Blogger Fer said...

Hi Steamy Kitchen!
I have not tried it with different cheeses. It is really good with the Gruyere. The Gruyere has such a strong flavor it works well with the asparagus. I think if it didn't have this strong flavored cheese the tart would be pretty bland. Have fun and experiment! Let me know what other cheese you try!

-Fer

10:48 PM  
Blogger ironstef said...

I made this the other night and it was soo tasty and easy! Thanks for the recipe. Your picture is gorgeous by the way. I took photos of mine, too because it's such a pretty dish. I'm making another one as we speak! I was gonna grill the asparagus first this time, but it's too rainy and cold outside. But I think I'll be making this alot this spring/summer, so I'll try the grilling thing some other time. Thanks again!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Hi Ironstef-
Thanks for so much for your comment. I am so happy you are fond of the tart. Let me know how the grilled asparagus works out for you!

-Fer

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home