Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Outside To Eat My Lunch

The other day I went outside to eat my lunch. I have a new office and a wonderful picnic table. It was breezy and beautiful. A perfect 73 degrees. I was among five other people doing the same thing as me - enjoying the day and eating their lunch.

I was struck. In front of each one of us were choices or findings that we had gathered and brought to the table to nourish ourselves. I had a salad (That is what I always have for lunch). My friend had a turkey sandwich. One girl had three small bowls that made up her lunch: a bowl of olives; a small bowl of peaches; and a bowl of mixed nuts. Across from me-there was an avocado being cut into and eaten whole. There was a warmed up bean burrito being eaten with a fork. A woman at the end of the table opened her large sealed bowl to reveal fresh cooked green beans mixed with toasted coconut. I wondered what that would taste like and where she had learned the recipe.

Food reveals so much about who we are. It gives a peak into our own individual experience and influence. I often wonder why we chose a specific food to eat or how that food is prepared. We all have such personal preferences and with this diversity we uncover so many new ways to enjoy food.

-Fer

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a ham and muenster cheese with spinach leaves on toasted wheat bread and mayo.

And a glass of milk.



I wonder what that says about me...

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home