Monday, February 19, 2007

A Sandwich is More Than Just a Sandwich


There is so much written about fancy food or gourmet food. It seems that the simple comforts in life, our everyday foods, get lost in the mix.

Sandwiches. They are the simple everyday food. Sandwiches are not difficult to prepare. Everyone knows how to make them. The varieties of them are endless. Typically a sandwich is eaten with your hands, which makes it casual in nature so no one is intimidated about how to eat it. They can easily be brought with you everywhere and anywhere you go. Poor Mr. Sandwich so much to offer yet so forgotten.

The word sandwich is from the late 1700s, when at very late hours, an English nobleman named John Montagu (the Fourth Earl of Sandwich) was too busy gambling to stop for a meal even though he was hungry. The legend has it that he asked a waiter to bring him some roast beef between two slices of bread. He asked for the meat between the slices of bread so he wouldn’t get his fingers greasy while he was playing cards. The actual word “Sandwich” comes from Old English Sandwic, and literally means “sand village”, “Sandy Place”, or “Place on the Sand”.

I have found that my favorite sandwiches are about fresh ingredients and the style of bread. My three favorites are (from photo top to bottom):

1. Turkey Breast, mache, sliced purple onion, vine-ripe tomato and mayo on a pretzel roll.

2. Pastrami on dark rye with Dijon and Muenster cheese. This one is delicious hot too.

3. Cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, sprouts and mayo on mutli-grain or sour dough bread.

As I thought more about my favorites, I still need to mention two more: grilled cheese with tomato on sour dough or an egg salad sandwich on rye with a pickle spear on the side.

My first sandwich I ever had was a honey and peanut butter on thick wheat bread. I still like this sandwich. The peanut butter has to be thick and the bread fresh.

What are your favorite sandwich styles or recipes? Why do you like them? What was the first sandwich you ever remember eating?

-Fer

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin S. said...

Your #3 sounds divine. I like the sprouts idea. One of my favorites is a simple BLT, but all the ingredients have to be top notch. I also like the BLTLA I find on lots of menus around SoCal--it includes avocado.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Erin-
God-I love avocado! I love BLTs too. Crusty bread with sliced small grape tomatoes...lots of crisy bacon, extra mayo and lettuce!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather (lake wales, fl)

I just found your site when I googled homemade potato chips :)

I love a good panini! good quality bread, turkey, a variety of cheeses, thinly sliced granny smith apple, mustard on one side, cranberry sauce on the other (or some other delicious jelly), pecans, onions, craisens (or other yummy dried fruit)... then pressed until nice a caramelized on my George Forman grill ;D

4:04 PM  
Blogger Best panini press said...

I must thank you for your great information at this time. You have been extremely supportive through this blog. Your attitude and work level suits here, so keep up the good work!waring commercial panini grill
waring cast iron grill reviews

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home