Monday, February 05, 2007

Over The Weekend


After the freeze, there was alot of concern about how it would affect the availability of citrus. I am relieved to see all the citrus still at the market. Tangerines are in full swing along with grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges.

I tried some new grapefruit varieties this week. My favorite grapefruit now is called a "Oroblanco". It is delicious and sweet. It showed me how I can't always judge a fruit by its skin. The thick green tone makes you think your bite will be bitter. It isn't at all. It is sweet.

Meyer Lemons are something I know little about. I hear about them all the time. I have always wondered what makes them so special and what is all the fuss! These lemons are in season now and all over the market. The Meyer Lemon has the same tang as a regular lemon but not the pucker. This lemon is a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. The exterior color of the fruit is a darker more orange-yellow in color. The skin is thinner and softer than a conventional lemon. Due to the sweeter taste, Meyer Lemons are great to use in lemonade and dessert recipes.

I can eat Tangerines by the bagful. Recently, I have been experimenting with making it into juice.I find that Tangerine juice is smoother and less tart than an orange jucie. The downside is it takes so many tangerines to make a small glass of juice. Five or six pieces of fruit should do. -Fer

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orange ya glad you have a comment today?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Always happy yo find a comment from you!!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home