Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Quiche Pots


There is something tradition yet refined about a quiche. I like to take a more rustic approach and not have it be so perfect. I find in its unperfect state it becomes more real and edible. I also like to make a quiche in individual portions. I use a muffin or cupcake pan to make individual quiches. I like to call them "Quiche Pots".

I make a traditional pie crust. After the crust is rolled out, I cut the crust into 5 inch sqaures and place them each into their own cup of the muffin tin. I allow the crust to settle and then use my fingers to mould it into the cup. I like to leave the crust jagged at the ends. The crust needs to be pre-baked with either foil or parchment and pie weights. When the crust is out of the oven I like to add the cheese and the bacon into each individual cup (or pot) and pour the custard over it allowing the custard to not reach the top. There should be some space between the top edge of the crust and the custard to allow the custard to expand after cooking. When you pour the custard into each pot, carefully stir the cheese and bacon around a bit to allow the custard to reach the bottom of the pot.



The custard is a very traditional version with bacon and Gruyere cheese. I like to experiment with different cheese mixes as I find the Gruyere alone is too salty mixed with the bacon. I have found if I mix a half of cup cheddar and a half a cup of the Gruyere the quiche is less salty.


Quiche Pots
12 Servings

Basic Pie crust dough-pre-heated crusts
5 ounces of bacon (about 5 slices) broken into pieces
2 Large Eggs, plus 2 Large Egg Yolks
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt(Caution as the bacon and cheese all ready make this dish salty)
1/2 Teaspoon white Pepper
A Pinch of Nutmeg
1/2 Cup Gruyere Cheese (Grated)
1/2 Cup Mild Cheddar

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Have your partially baked pie shell ready. As soon as the crusts are partially baked the custard should be inserted inside and ready to be fully baked.

Fry the bacon until crispy and brown. Tear to pieces. Place to the side. Whisk all ingrediients except the cheeses into a medium bowl. Mix the cheeses together in a separate bowl.

Place the pieces of bacon, divided into the minature shells and add the cheese on top of each one. The cheese will be about 1 Tablespoon-depending on the size of your muffin tin.

Bake until lightly brown about 30 minutes. Serve warm or room tempature.

-Fer

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i got to the end of this post and all i could think was:

"I WANT SOME QUICHE POTS!"


can i have some quiche pots?


please

10:19 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Aw...gee thanks! Hmmm. I would offer to mail you some but I don't know how they would hold up.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

ok....have to add this to list of recipes to try. looks great to take to a potluck!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay.

having now had one of these amazing

AMAZING!

quiche pots i have to say that the flavor, the texture, the whole experience was close to the top of my favorite food experiences.

and incredible triumph fer.

when will you be opening a restaurant?

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home