Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Spaghetti Squash


Also called: "Noodle Squash" is one of my favorite vegetables to prepare.I am always amazed how this squash makes its own form of pasta to eat. I like to use the squash like a spaghetti dish topped with a light marinara sauce or my favorite way is to use just olive oil, salt & pepper and parmesan cheese. I have often thought that this vegetable would be loved by children as they would see it as a plate of spaghetti and not the nutritious vegetable it is.

Before cooking, as the insides (seeds) are cleaned out, it reminds me of cleaning a pumpkin. When cooked, the squash falls away from the shell in ribbons or strands like spaghetti. I don't want to misrepresent this yellow squash. It does not taste much like spaghetti. It just looks alot like it. The taste has a slight sweetness and is crunchy and watery more like a cucumber. Spaghetti squash can be baked, boiled or steamed. It contains many nutrients including folic acid, potassium, vitamin A, and
beta carotene.

I prepare my squash in a water bath (or steamer basket). Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut your squash into two pieces. Cut the squash in its long direction. Place the two halves side-by-side face down into a baking pan. Pour water into the pan so the squash is sitting in two inches of water. Cook until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes depending on the size of the squash. Let the halves cool until you can touch them. Take each half and with a large fork pull the squash into a large bowl. You will see how the squash pulls away from the shell in "ribbons" or "strands" or noodles! Toss with olive oil, parmesan cheese and salt & pepper to taste. -Fer

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin S. said...

love that last picture. haven't tried spagetti squash yet (my husband is a very reluctant squash eater, and I'm still working with him on butternut and acorn!)--maybe that pic will convince him!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I have the greatest recipe for a lasagna made with spaghetti squash... I'll pass it along soon.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home