Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Root Beer Taste Test Continues!



Fer Food loves root beer. We started a taste test of various options last month and are still continuing to try what is out there! Here is a new update to our original root beer taste test:

Bull Dog:
It reminds us of the Original Bubble Yum bubble gum. Now you might read this and say "bubble gum"?! Now it doesn't taste like actual bubble gum. The vanilla flavor is just so strong and unique in this root beer that it brought back memories of chewing bubble gum. It isn't too fizzy. It doesn't need to be.The larger root beer companies have cut corners by sweetening their root beer with corn syrup. So much so that I think we have all forgotten what actual sugar tastes like! In our adventures of taste testing, we have found that a mark of a good root beer is it being sweetened with cane sugar and not corn syrup. This being said, Bull Dog is sweetened with cane sugar and it leaves you with a nice clean finish. It is not too sweet and there are alot of nice layers in there to explore! There is a strong vanilla push. The honey is very sudtle and almost undetectable. We think the honey gives it some gravity without it being syrupy. We liked it. Thanks Todd for the suggestion!

Hank's Gourmet Root Beer: Sweetened with cane sugar, this root beer has a strong cherry flavor with woody overtones. It is slightly more fizzy than Bull Dog. It is unique and a nice option.

Sparky's Fresh Draft Root Beer: This is the only one of the root beers we have tried that we didn't finish. We found that it had a medicinal and almost brackish flavor. It is very herbal. Have you ever had any of the herbal tonics? This root beer remind me of a herbal-remedy tonic. It is sweetened with pure cane sugar. It was heavier on the fizz than the two options mentioned above. This only made me think of Alka-Seltzer Cold Medicine. We take a pass on this one. Poor Sparky.

**More root beer reviews to come: Fitz's, Dog N Suds, Barq's and Boylans. Any more suggestions? We would love to hear about them!

-Fer

12 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

A&W? That's the root beer I grew up on.

12:30 PM  
Blogger phoebe said...

its interesting, i absolutely love root beer, but Ive been living as an exchange student in Germany for the past 7 months and haven't been able to find it, or describe the taste to anyone - can root beer be found in Europe? if so Where? anyway I miss it like crazy and this post just made me miss it more

2:28 PM  
Blogger phoebe said...

http://www.lukecole.com/Root%20Beer/WheretoBuy.htm

that could also help ya out in the search for the best root beernw

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm living in England as an exchange student and I haven't been able to find root beer either. I'm from the south, too where Barq's comes from. How I miss it.

3:29 PM  
Blogger KB10 said...

Virgil's is my favorite commercially available rootbeer, although I really prefer their birch beer.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite root beer is Abita made in Louisiana. It is creamy without being fizzy, has good flavor without being too sweet.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Annie-
I grew up on A&W too. You must (if you haven't all ready) try some of these other root beers!

Phoebe and Rachael-
I did a little research on the root beer supply in Europe. Sorry to say I couldn't find much to offer you. I can only offer you my pictures as some effort to send you the real thing via web!

Phoebe-Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

MR-I keep trying new root beers and I still always go back to my favorite standby-Virgil's! It is the best.

Anonymous-
I have heard of Abita beer but I did not know they had a root beer. I have to check that out!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Diane | Dwelement.com said...

My top 6 root beers (after tasting more than 30 varieties in the Midwest and beyond):
6) Berghoef
5) Frostop
4) Virgil's
3) Natural Brew
2) Sprecher
1) Bull Dog
Thanks for your great blog!

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seconde the Abita root beer. We threw an annual Oktoberfest party in college and the Abita root beer kegs went faster than the beer kegs (its true!!!).

1:02 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Kolaks-

I have been searching for a few you listed and can't find them. I am always looking as I soon would like to do a new taste test of the next batch of new bottles!

Thanks for your comment!
-Fer

7:53 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Anonymous-
Abita! I like the beer but have never had the root beer!

The search is on...

-Fer

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try 1919 draft rootbeer. It's worth searching out.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home