Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Top Five Picks To Eat Before You Die


Melissa Kronenthal of The Traveler’s Lunchbox set out a challenge for all of us food bloggers. Create a list of food bloggers' five top picks for things they have eaten and think that everyone should eat at least once before they die. This was a tough one. But I always love a challenge! I made a list of about 25 items and then decided I needed to just choose from my long list and not make up more ideas. Let’s face it there is so much food out there that would be so sad to miss! I thought about all of the fancy meals I have had in my life and when it comes down to it, as always it is the experience and the simplicity that wins me over. I did my best and this is what I decided (drum roll please):

1. Diced Fresh Fruit with Lime Juice and Red Pepper, Los Angeles, CA
I am in love with the fresh fruit cart. You walk up to a cart and pick two or three fruits that you would like to have together. The vendor dices them into bite-sized pieces for you. The fruit is then placed inside a bag with a fresh lime squeeze and a small amount of hot pepper flakes added to the top. The bag is then given a gentle shake and handed to you with a fork. My favorite combination is pineapple, watermelon and cucumber.

2. Freshly Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies with a Tall Glass of Cold Milk
Does this require any explanation? I can’t imagine going through life without having tasted a hot chocolate chip cookie dipped in milk.

3. Coffee in Everyway Imaginable
I am what you call a coffee fanatic. I am in love with this drink. It is so versatile and so delicious. I love to experience all the different ways to drink coffee. In my travels I always look forward to the way each country or region serve and experience coffee. Everyone should try all of the different processes and see which one appeals to them the most.

4. Roasted Marshmallows from a Campfire
I grew up going camping. There is something so thrilling and fun about hunting for your very own perfect stick to roast your very own marshmallow. There are many ways to complete the roasting task. When I was very young I was a “burn it quickly, torch the mallow kind of kid” but as I grew up I learned the craft of slowly browning the crust to reveal the most perfect crunch on the outside and perfect “goo” on the inside.

5. Fresh Fruit Sorbets, Portofino, Italy
I first experienced fresh fruit sorbets in Portofino, Italy. They are simply amazing. In a small Italian restaurant, the owner will bring out a plate of today’s fresh sorbets. The sorbets are made of everything from oranges, bananas and lemons to chestnuts and walnuts. The sorbet is made from the fresh fruit that has been scrapped out of its skin. After the fruit is made into a sorbet, it is then placed back inside the original skin or shell and kept frozen. Even the small piece of skin or shell that was cut to allow access to the center fruit is assembled back as if it the fruit was never cut open in the first place. The chestnut version was my absolute favorite.

So-for all of you Fer Food readers...what would be your top five?

-Fer

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

1. Guacamole and fresh chips... preferrably made by a sweet man named Jose Cueto.
2. Blackened Fish Tacos... Texas, SLO, even in the mountains these were a staple for me.
3. Pink Lady Apples... a new addition to my life. I hadn't had them until I moved back home. Now I can't get enough of them.
4. Fresh Tomato Soup... I think I like peeling the tomatoes as much as eating the soup.
5. Rosemary Apricot Scones... I'm salivating just thinking about them.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Estelle said...

I've had coconut with lime and chile in Guadalajara, Mexico, for the first time of my life last May and loved it! I'll try adding lime and pepper flakes to other fruits now that I've seen your list...

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1.5 lb. T-bone steak, 4 sausage links, 4 pork jalapeno hot links, diced hashbrowns and a bit toasted on the top, 4 stacked Blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup, with whip cream all over on it and 3 cherries, and a gallon of milk.

2.2 Burritos of shredded beef, extra cheese, extra grease, and jalapenos from East L.A., 1st street restaurant called Al's and Bee's. 2 Ceviche tostadas with a large shrimp burrito from 7 Mares in East L.A., Caesar Chavez street. with a extra large Horchata.

3.3 In-N-Out 4x4 cheeseburgers from alhambra, L.A., the first is with no pickles and no onions, animal style(which is diced grilled onions with thousand island sauce), second is no pickles & and no onions with guacamole and bacon, the third is a chili 4x4 with no onions nor pickles. with an extra large Root Beer and medium fries. Yes I eat alot but I am not overweight..lol.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home