Tuesday, April 24, 2007

People Food Noises

When I was little, my sister use to sing to her food. We called it singing. She would have food gripped in hand and would start singing as her hand was coming towards her mouth. It went something like this:

Yum, yum yum yum, (pause) YUM, yum, yummy, yum, yum....

I can still hear her doing it. It was hysterical. What a wonderful thing to be enjoying the pleasure of eating. Life moves so fast that I often wonder how many of us take time to enjoy our food. I like to think that I stop to enjoy my food but anyone that knows me will attest that I eat fast. I want to give food the attention that my sister did. I want to relax and focus on only what is in front of me and enjoy every bite.

People "food noises" are interesting things. They are so personal and wonderful to hear. I guess my sister tuned me into them as a child and now as an adult I find it humorous to hear people as they appreciate their food. I like to hear the different words people say to express appreciation: "Mmmmmm", "Wow...", "Oh my GOD" or maybe it isn't just a verbal expression. My husband wiggles when he is enjoying his first bites at the table.

What do you find yourself doing when you are happy with what was just placed inside your mouth? I usually find myself closing my eyes and slowly taking in each movement of my mouth as the food is slowly absorbed. Generally, I don't make many noises but I might offer a "Oh my God" once in a while!

-Fer

4 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I'm happy to see that someone else has noticed "food noises." My father and his brother both make "ice cream noises" - sort of an excited grunt as they're scooping in anticipation of the first bite.

My nephew, on the other hand, has a "food dance" when something's really good - basically all his limbs go wild for a split second, and he bounces around in his chair.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so funny...
I recently spent much time with a friend which included several meals. I noticed that with everything bite came a Mmmmmm. She appreciated every bite that much. It was contagious and those meals were some of the best I've ever had.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Pam-
Aren't food noises funny?! Thank you for sharing your noise experiences. I think it is too funny that your father and brother make noises specifically for ice cream!

Michele-
That is fantastic that your friend's noises actually enhanced your meal experiences! Thank you for your story.

-Fer

9:30 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

My husband squeaks when he eats something particularly yumzo. It's unconscious. The squeaks even happen when the food's already in his mouth.
Pretty cute.
(I have no idea if I make food noises of my own. Have to ask Cranky.)

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home