Tuesday, September 26, 2006

“Happy no-bun-in-the-oven-for-the second-time-since-the-weddin’ birthday”

Can you say that 10 times fast? Last Friday night I celebrated my dear friend Erika’s birthday. We went to dinner and had a feast fit for a king (or Queen!). This birthday was a special one for dear Erk as this would be a non-pregnant birthday. She has only been married for three years and out of those three years she has been pregnant for two of her birthdays.

I made necklaces out of buns that were marked with a large “X” in celebration of our theme. We all wore them proud! The comments from the restaurant staff were hilarious. One person commented: “Is that some type of tribal jewelry?”


We went to Ciudad. It is in downtown LA (Yes I said downtown). I love going downtown for food. It reminds me I live in a huge city. Living in the beach communities you seem to forget how “city” we really are. Ciudad is one of the restaurants from Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. Their other restaurant is Border Grill in Santa Monica.

The food: We stared with “Argentine Empanadas” and had a serving of the “Goat Cheese Fritters” to share. The fritters are drizzled with honey and are served with sherry soaked Bing cherries. There are layers of flavors with these-a great combination.

Our night was one of the first nights Ciudad offered their fall menu. They have a great variety on the menu. We tried many of the “Platos Principales” but our favorites were the “Argentine Gaucho Steak” and the “Tamarind Glazed Salmon”.

Ciudad is known for their Mojitos. The first round was excellent. For the second round, my Mojito tasted like a Long Island Iced Tea. I sent the second drink back but what came back was a watered-down Long Island Iced Tea. Bummer-if only the first bartender hadn’t left for the night.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This placed rocked. I loved the "Gunther"-like host and the room was nice too!

The best part, easily, was the company. I think I would rate this place as nice but would probably just take the company and find a nice room somewhere overlooking the water court and mix drinks, sing songs, recite poetry, mix drinks, have snacks, and mix drinks.

Ahhhh, now THAT is special!

Thanks!

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are truly the best! Mercy ran around the next day with the bun necklace on everywhere she went, until at one point I realized that it had a big bite out of it. Sadly, it was retired at that point...

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home