Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Cranberry Jezebel Sauce


Why Jezebel? I was told it's a Southern "thang" - like grits and Pimento cheese. My mother-in-law Mary passed this cranberry recipe on to me. Each year around Thanksgiving I email her and inquire yet once again for the recipe. It's our tradition and a signal to both of us that the holidays are upon us.

This recipe is more like chutney than a traditional cranberry sauce. I love using it on my post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches. This sauce is great paired with turkey and chicken but also compliments pork tenderloin.

Cranberry Jezebel Sauce
1/2 Cup White sugar
1/2 Cup Brown sugar
1 Cup Water
1 (12 oz) Bag Fresh Cranberries
3 T. Prepared Horseradish (I usually start w/ 2 T. and add more if I want to)
1 T. Dijon Mustard (maybe some other brown-type mustard would be as good; just not yellow mustard.)

Rinse cranberries in colander. Bring first 3 ingredients to boil. Add cranberries. Return to boil. Keep an eye on the mixture as it can quickly foam over. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes-uncovered. Stir mixture every few minutes. Listen for the cranberries as they will start to make popping noises.(It is part of the fun!) Cook mixture down to let it thicken. Remove mixture from heat and cool to room temperature. Add horseradish and mustard. Adjust horseradish and mustard to suit your own taste by adding more or less of each. Makes about 2 to 2-1/2 cups. Refrigerate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home