Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Southern Belle Lessons


This is a recipe a friend gave me years ago. It is her Mom’s recipe but I renamed it for my dear friend Cookie. Cookie is as Southern Belle as it gets. I once over heard her reply to a compliment someone made about her shoes. I can still hear her reply as clear as it was yesterday. Her reply was: “These ole things, Honey, these are yard shoes!!”.

I lived in the "belt buckle" of the South for several years. During this time, Cookie would give me “Southern Belle” lessons. I don’t know how "Southern Belle" I really became. I am a pure Yankee to the core of my being! But-my friend Cookie sure does know how to cook! Here is her (Mom’s) cornbread dressing:

Cookie's Cornbread Dressing(or as us Yankees call it stuffing!)

¼ Cup Finely Chopped Onion
1 Stick of Butter(salted)
3 Cups Dry Bread Cubes
1 Teaspoon Salt (optional)
1 Cup Finely Chopped Celery
4 Cups Crumbled Cornbread (make before and have on hand)
¼ Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
Enough Chicken Broth to thoroughly moisten mixture


Brown the onion and celery in butter. While the onion and celery are cooking, Crumble the cornbread and add the dry bread cubes together in a large bowl. Mix the breads together and add all of the seasonings. When the onion and celery are finished browning, pour it over the crumbled bread and seasonings. Add the chicken broth over the mixture. You need the broth to thoroughly moisten the dressing. Mix well. Place this mixture into large baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes until the dressing is lightly brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home