Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Tupperware Police Don't Read This!!!


I don't like "Tupperware" containers to store food. I don't store that many leftovers so maybe that is why I have never gotten into the "Tupperware" thing. (We eat everything that is on our plates!) I have tried to use plastic storage containers. I just don't like how the food stains the plastic. The container always looks dirty even when it is brand new. I also struggle with finding storage for plastic storage containers. Have you ever noticed that plastic storage containers can never be stored organized? They can't be stacked properly or "stay put". I have a small kitchen so storage is a huge concern.

I do need to store food so I am always looking for solutions that work for me. I store my leftover food on a dinner plate or in a glass bowl with plastic wrap or wax paper over it. If the portion is a small enough, I place the food in a French jelly jar. I use these jelly jars for my beverage glasses so they don't require additional storage space. They are great to stack in the fridge and have red plastic lids that assist in storing the food airtight but also in keeping multiple jars stacked. I love the look of them and they are so practical. Glass is the way to go.

I recently found that the brand Ziploc makes reuseable plastic containers. They are called "Snap and Seal". These containers are great for sending food home with guests. I like the practical size of them. The plastic does not stain or hold odors. They are microwave safe. If you do find one needs replaced simply pop it into your recycling bin and start a fresh one. These containers come in a pack of five.

-Fer

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, really Fer. Only YOU could make food storage sexy. :)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi fer, im actually suprised that you don't like Tupperware. The fact that Tupperware contains no toxins unlike other plastics is a big one for me personally. I like to know what im consuming when i reheat my food. As for the lack of space thing , Tupperware modular mates for the pantry stack so neatly and maxamise the space you have. To be honest with you i used to use glass jars in my pantry untill i found they let the air in therefore letting bacteria and bugs in ..... i even noticed mold from the moisure growing in my oats of all things. since switching to Tupperware i have had none of these problems. I constantly use my Rock n Serve containers which are tupperwares microwave containers not only are they great for leftover but there awsome to store an extra meal that you can put in the frezzer so you have a quick meal ready when your on the run . All you have to do is pop the button and pop it into the microwave. i love the stuff

3:33 AM  
Blogger Fer said...

Hey anonymous! That is very interesting about tupperware containing no toxins. I did not know that. I really appreciated your thoughts and feedback. I guess I never store anything for any long length of time and have never had a problem with the (gross!) bugs abd bacteria. Thank you for your comment!

-Fer

9:35 PM  
Blogger paintedbayoo said...

Those are cool glasses. Where can I find them? I'm particularly interested in ones with resealable lids.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've spent the last hour or so looking for French jelly jars. I've used them for years for drink glasses and storage -- the same ones in the photo. I used to buy them at Crate & Barrel, but they're not there anymore. Help! Where can I find them now. I need more! Ann

7:00 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Hi! I just read your post about C&B not offering them anymore and I freaked! But don't panic! They do still have them. They are called "working glasses". Here's the link:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=150&f=1693&q=glasses+with+lids&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I went right to the website to order some replacements! Ann

11:29 AM  
Blogger Sheryl Grabow-Weiss said...

Cost Plus has the jars for under $2 but they don't have the plastic lids. Any suggestions as to where I can get just the lids?

11:41 AM  
Blogger Fer said...

Crate and Barrel sell the lids separately! They only come in red and I think white too.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home