Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Magnolia Cupcakes




Waiting time per cupcake = 7.5 minutes (based on 4 cakes)

In LA, Sprinkles is the rage along with Hello Cupcake, Blue Bird, Yummy Cupcakes and last but not least, Joan's on Third. I was intrigued to finally go to the place that started the entire cupcake rage-Magnolia.

The chocolate and vanilla cupcakes were my favorite. The frosting is smooth and purely-all sugar. It was thew best part as the actual cake is pretty dry.

It is always so fun to go to a small shop that has a "cult-like following" to see what it is about it people love. I watched from the window a whipped cream and chocolate wafer cake being formed. The wafers were placed perfectly on a bed of whipped cream until those wafers were covered with whipped cream and the process started all over again.



There is no sign or person that helps you to identify which flavor is what. There is only a sign that reads "12 cupcakes per person". The cupcakes are self-serve. When it is your turn, you are allowed inside the shop and at the front window one or two trays of cupcakes are there. You fill your own box and pick and choose which ones you think look the best. Leave it all up to luck at what cupcake flavor you will receive. The truth is there is such an intensity about the place after standing in line that you feel lucky just standing there grabbing whatever cakes you can grab! (Oh! And forget trying to take a picture of them...I would of been killed!)

-Fer



Magnolia Bakery
401 Bleecker St
New York, NY
10014-2452
Phone: (212) 462-2572

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all sounds like the Soup Nazi - take your ticket and wait in line until you're worthy enough to actually buy a cupcake. I hope they were worth the hype.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Fer said...

Erin-
It wasn't quite that bad. They weren't worth the hype. But-how would I know until I went!?

The cupcake thing cracks me up-it is like any of the foods that get popular and get the "hype". I enjoyed my crazy visit to Magnolia. I wouldn't go again but I am glad I went.

Thanks for your comment!

-Fer

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you totally have to experience that sort of thing in person - no argument there.

2:19 PM  
Blogger matt said...

When I was in NYC the line for this place was all the way down the block. My brother told me about it and we were going to go but were pressed for time. He says: "If the line isn't very long we can stop in". I did not get my cupcake.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Not worth the wait, folks. I hate to tell ya, but nobody who lives here stands on the line at Magnolia. Go across the street to Amy's. Or to the Cupcake Cafe on West 18th Street. Or, better yet, head out to One Girl Cookies on Dean Street in Brooklyn and try their cupcakes. Red Velvet ... yum.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home