Monday, July 02, 2007

July is Ice Cream Month

One of my VERY favorite things is ice cream. I love it all year around but summer really does kick my love for the stuff into high gear. July is National ice cream month so if you need an excuse to eat more ice cream....

What is your favorite flavor? I am an absolute chocoholic but I think my favorite flavor is Mint Chocolate Chip. I like the mint ice cream to be the standard green in color, small bits of chocolate as the "chips" and have a rich, creamy texture. I also over the years have learned to love a good vanilla ice cream. Vanilla is great and if it is chocolate you crave add some chocolate syrup on top!

I remember when I was growing up in the Mid-West, there was this place we use to go for birthday parties that had the world's largest sundae. They didn't claim that it was, I just could of never fathomed there could be one larger than the one they offered. It was served in a gigantic silver bowl (like 30" in diameter) and had every topping imaginable. Now-I know that when you are a kid things appear larger than they really are...but no exaggeration, this sundae was HUGE. There was also a place in Chicago called "Ed Debevic's" that serves the "World's Smallest Sundae". The sundae is served in a tiny glass dish with a miniature spoon for $1.49.

The world's most expensive sundae is served at NYC's Serendipity 3 restaurant. For $1000, this restaurant apparently serves you five scoops of Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream infused with Madagascar vanilla, covered in 23-carat edible gold leaf, rare Amedei Porceleana and Chuao chocolate, American Golden caviar, passion fruit, orange, Armagnac, candied fruits from Paris and Marzipan cherries with real gold dragees. The sundae is served in a baccarat Harcourt crystal goblet with an 18-karat gold spoon.

What's your favorite flavor? What ice cream trivia do you know? Pass it on.

-Fer

3 Comments:

Blogger wellunderstood said...

my favorite ice cream flavor has also historically been mint chocolate chip, but the best ice cream place in my hometown, Graeter's, makes delicious black cherry chip, cinnamon, peach, and pumpkin ice cream as well. sigh. if only i could be eating some now.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Fer said...

Wellunderstood-
I have been to Graeter's! I love it! They have an incredible mint chocolate chip, cinnamon and chocolate!! I wish we were both eating it now!!!

-Fer

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That $1000 sundae sounds like a monstrosity. Would pay to watch someone attempt to eat it though!

I like my ice-cream in flavour combinations : a scoop of apple sorbet, with raspberry sorbet. Espresso, with rum 'n' raisin.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home