Monday, June 04, 2007

My Collection


I have never been much of a collector. Once I realized this, I decided I wanted to start collecting at least one thing. Over the past 10 years, I have been collecting single serving creamers. The moment I saw one for the first time I knew right away I wanted to start collecting them!

One thing I have found is they are hard to find! I have bought one off of Ebay but that just seemed too easy. I like the hunt. It has been fun over the years to find one a bit different from the next and add to the collection. I have about thirty now. Most of them were used to serve cream at diners. I actually haven't done much reserach on them. I just like the way they look. I do use them on occassion when a need a single serving of cream or I have found that they make a nice bud vase depending on the size of the bud.

I find it fascinating that someone decided that they would start to serve cream in an individual serving and designed a creamer for this purpose. I don't think I have ever seen anyone serve cream like this. I think we should go back to it. It was a lovely thing!

-Fer

9 Comments:

Blogger Karin W. said...

They do really look like those small serving cream pitchers I remember from my childhood. Usually they belonged to a set with a cream pitcher ("gräddsnipa" OR "gräddskål") and a sugar bowl. Cream was always served with coffee. Nowadays it isn´t.

You can look at a nice and beautiful cream pitcher at the Swedish auction site Tradera.
Tradera.

I suppose this isn´t the only one available. This one is already sold - at a low price, I think.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said...

Your photo is so inviting, Fer, that you make me want to start collecting something. Anything. ;)

11:34 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

How cool! I like them.
If I come across one in my antique store/flea market browsings, I'll pick it up for you.
(And then I'll probably spend the rest of the week asking myself *who was it who collects these?*)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Fer said...

Hi Karin-
Thanks for the info on Tradera. I will check it out.

Susan-Hi! Thank you so much! I like my little collection. It is fun to collect and I am picky with the ones I choose to keep as it keep my collection finding lasting longer! Let me know if you decide to start collecting something.

Cookiecrumb! Thanks! That would be great!! Please don't forget...it's for FER!!

-Fer

9:41 PM  
Blogger SteamyKitchen said...

I never thought to collect anything except cookbooks. I love your little collection

6:09 AM  
Blogger Fer said...

Thanks Steamy Kitchen!

-Fer

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a creamer for you! Where do I send it to?

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My email is elarael@hotmail.com.

12:48 AM  
Blogger CityMinx said...

Hi Fer,

Came across your blog from the epicurious link, and i'm having a blast going thru it! Have you ever heard of a store called Fish's Eddy? http://www.fishseddy.com/ Now they have their own lines of dishware, but what they specialize in is the castoffs from restaurants, cruise lines, hotels, etc. And they definitely stock single serving creamers.

enjoy!

-Minx

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home