Monday, May 21, 2007

Mr. Sweet Pea



I was in NYC a couple of weeks ago and it was overwhelming the attention English sweet peas are gaining! Restaurants made salad, soups and inventive side dishes all with peas. It made my head turn and as soon as I could I made my own version of a pea dish I had at a small place in Nolita. The place was called Westville. They made fantastic vegetables.





At the farmer's market over the weekend, we were busy taking pictures when one of the vendors notice the attention we were giving to the peas. The vendor said, "What are you shooting?" "The peas" I replied. "Oh, well, I am sure they love all of the attention!"said the vendor. It is in moments like these, that I stop and realize, the rest of the world doesn't see food like I do!

Sweet Peas with Onion and Corn
Serves 4

1/2 lb of Sweet Peas (out of thir pods)
1 ear of corn (cooked and sliced off the cob)
1/2 of a Green Pepper (chopped)
1/2 of a Purple Onion (minced)
4 Leaves Fresh Basil (minced)
2 Cloves of Garlic
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper (as desired)

Take a large saute pan and add the oil and garlic cloves. Saute until the garlic is soft. Add all of the ingredients except the corn. Saute until the peas are browned. Add the corn and saute for 1-2 minutes more to warm. Serve immediately.

Serves 4 as a side dish. I used the left overs as lunch for 2 the next day. It was delicious as a cold side salad.




p.s. Westville 210 West 10th Street NYC

3 Comments:

Blogger Parisbreakfasts said...

I'll have to try Westville, really in the East Village..
These are dreamy pictures!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Fer said...

Hi Paris Breakfasts-

You should try it! I was impressed with their vegies! Let me know if you ever go.

Thanks for your comment!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Deborah Dowd said...

This looks really delish! It is always hard to come up with new ways to make veggies especially in the summer. Thanks for the inspiration!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home