Monday, October 02, 2006

Doughnut+Coffee+Jam=Pancakes


I am so intrigued by this Chicago Chef who seems limitless in his ability to make new out of an old idea. Homaro Cantu pushes limits and experiments using his kitchen to make art out of his cuisine. I was excited to find a write up about him this month in Gourmet Magazine. This recipe was offered and I gave it a try.

Doughnut Pancakes With Strawberry-Coffee Sauce
Adapted From Homaro Cantu of Moto, Chicago
Serves 6 (Dessert)

For Sauce:
1 Cup Strawberry Jam or Preserves
* I used Jam as I think the Preserves might be too chunky. I preferred the sauce to be very smooth.
1/2 Cup Strong Brewed Coffee
For Pancakes:
3 (4-by 1 Inch) glazed yeast doughnuts, torn into 1-inch pieces
2 large eggs
1/3 cup of whole milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Make Sauce:
Blend jam and coffee in blender until smooth, transfer to a bowl.

Make pancakes:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200 degrees. Puree doughnuts with eggs, milk, cream, baking powder, confectioners sugar, and salt in cleaned blender until smooth (batter will be thick). Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides. Working in batches of 12, drop rounded teaspoons of batter into skillet and cook until pancakes are set around edges and undersides are golden, about 1 minute. Carefully turn over and cook until puffed and undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute more. Transfer pancakes to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Make more pancakes, adjusting heat as necessary and using 1 tablespoon butter for each batch. Serve with sauce.

* I used Entenmann’s brand doughnuts. It was the only brand of glazed doughnuts at the grocery store. I think next time I will experiment with going to a bakery and buying fresh glazed. Gourmet’s article specifically noted that the chef does not recommend Krispy Kreme doughnuts because they produced a very greasy doughnut. I think the Entenmann’s was also too greasy. The trick is to find a doughnut that is heavier and more like cake.

**I made these for breakfast, as I was too excited to wait until after dinner. I recommend that you wait. These make a better dessert than a breakfast. As these pancakes are more crepe than pancake. I liked to eat them as miniature crepes. I took one and powdered it with sugar and then added the sauce down the middle. I then rolled it up as a crepe to eat.

12/12/06 Update: this recipe was originally created by Ben Roche. I have still yet to find the perfect store/bakery bought doughnut to make the perfect doughnut pancake. Open to suggestions!! -Fer

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

was it good?

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben Roche is the true creator of this dish. Did you ever get a pancake that was tasty?

-Homaro-

8:20 AM  
Blogger Fer said...

Honest? I like the pancakes...but I always feel like they could be better using a different style doughnut. There isn't much to the batter as it is very thin but I attribute that to the sugar content of a glazed doughnut. I will try different sugar-coated cake doughnuts next time.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home